As exquisite as the valley of Kashmir and Ladakh seems to be yet they are considered to be some of the most highly militarized regions in the world. And due to this in order to visit several tourist destinations, a non-J&K resident would need a permit. In this article, we will cover the topic of how to obtain this inner line permit.
What is an inner line permit?
It is an Indian government-issued certificate to a non-J&K Indian resident, also known as Ladakh Inner Line Permit, or ILP for Ladakh.
This permit is obligatory to visit Restricted areas in the Ladakh tour package. These are dispatched by the Deputy Commissioner’s Office in Leh. This document’s validity is 3 week for Indian citizens and 15 days for foreigners. There is no restriction on the number of times a person wants to use this permit within the validity period.
What are restricted areas?
These are areas located near the Line of Control (border of Pakistan) and the Line of actual control (border of China). There are assorted check posts on the routes leading to these areas.
If you plan on visiting the following locations an Inner line permit will be required-
- Chang La Pass, Tangtse, and Pangong Lake
- Dha- Hanu Valley and Batalik
- Chumathang, Tsaga La and Tso Moriri Lake
- Khardung La Pass, Nubra Valley and Shayok
Places ILP is not required-
- Srinagar Leh highway
- Manali Leh highway
- Suru valley
- Zanskar valley
- Sightseeing with Ladakh holiday packagein Leh city
Where do you need to apply for ILP?
This document is issued at the city’s DC office. ILPs are only issued from 10 am till 3 pm, but the office remains open from 9 am to 5 pm.
Essential documents required for the issue of this permit
- Application form for the issue of ILP certificate.
- Self-attested xerox of any photo identity proof of the applicant. ( Adhaar card, passport, pan card, driving license, etc.)
- Passport size photographs ( if asked)
Where to get the application form for the issue of the ILP certificate?
The form is easily available at the city’s DC office and the xerox shops located inside the premises of the office.
Hotels also keep a copy of this application form for their guests.
The stepwise procedure of the issue of ILP CERTIFICATE
- Purchase the application form from any of the above-mentioned locations.
- Fill the form duly and attach the photocopy of any of the photo identity proof mentioned above. You will be asked to fill in your Father’s name, permanent address along with the name of the hotel you are lodging in Ladakh.
You need to precisely mention the places you will be visiting on your trip along with their accurate dates.
- Next, you need to fill an application letter in which again you need to mention the places you will be visiting which must be in sync with the ILP form.
- Submit your application at the office. It may take less than an hour or even up to 3 hours to get your ILP stamped and checked.
- A single person from a group of 3 to 4 people can get an ILP for everyone. It is not mandatory for everyone to be present physically. But everyone’s valid photocopy of photo id proof will be required.
It is basically divided into 3 categories-
- ENVIRONMENT TAX – INR 400 per person
- RED CROSS SOCIETY CHARITY- INR 100 per person
- WILDLIFE PROTECTION FEE- INR 20 per person per day
- If you want to visit Tso Moriri via Chushul from Pangong Tso, you would have to mention each and every location on this route in the application form, or else you may not be allowed to cross the check post.
- Visitors from Afganistan, Bangladesh, China, Myanmar, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka will have to obtain their ILP from the Ministry of Home Affairs in New Delhi.
Checkout Popular Ladakh Holidays Packages Here
- 3 Nights 4 Days Magnificent Ladakh Tour
- 4 Nights 5 Days Ladakh Tour Package
- Leh Ladakh Honeymoon Package
- 6 Nights 7 Days Leh Ladakh Tour Package
- 6 Nights 7 Days Leh Ladakh Tour Via Kargil
- 7 Nights 8 Days Ladakh Tour from Manali
Also Read Other Information About Ladakh –