Darjeeling is one of the best places to visit in North East India. Darjeeling ropeway is yet another major tourist attraction that people love to explore. You will get to witness a plethora of lush greenery along with the snow-clad mountains. The Cable car in Darjeeling finds itself as a prime attraction of the place and offers the awe-inspiring views to the people who opt for this activity.
Some Facts About Darjeeling Ropeway
The place was established back in 1968 and was said to be one of the first cable car system that was introduced in the destination. You can also taste the tea of Darjeeling and this place attracts a lot of people every year. With around 16 cable cars, each of them can accommodate around 6 people at once and it starts off from the North Point in Singamari till the Singla Bazaar.
In between these two points, you will see numerous jaw-dropping views starting from the cascading waterfalls and the majestic Kanchenjunga that makes it more beautiful destination. A the bottom of the cable car in Darjeeling, it halts for a while and meanwhile, the travelers can explore the mesmerizing tea gardens and relax at the small mountain café before heading to reach at the Singamari base station.
Here are Some Great Things That You Can Do
- You can visit the tea gardens and take a stroll at the tea factories to see how the tea is actually made after being plucked from the tea gardens.
- Take a refreshing trek to the tea estates to explore them and we are sure that you will feel delighted once you get there.
- Take snacks and other refreshments at the Koisk counters of the station.
- Sit and rejuvenate in the environment that will soothe your senses.
History of the Darjeeling Ropeway
The journey of the ropeway started in 1968 and was upgraded back in the year of 1988. It is a joint venture between the West Bengal Forest Development Corporation Limited and the private company known as Conveyor and Ropeway Service Private Limited.
Back in the 2003, one incident took place where the ropeway was slipped out of the tracks and crashed into a 100 feet long tea estate. This caused a lot of injuries to the people who were there inside the cable car. And due to this reason, the cable car remained close for several years. But after several years, the green signal was given to the cable car ride after a heavy inspection was done by the Public Works Department back in 2012.
Darjeeling Ropeway Timings (Open Hours)
- 10 am – 4 Pm – Winters and Monsoon
- 10 am – 2 pm – During peak season
You must be thinking why there are shorter hours during the peak time? It is because once you buy the tickets, you will see a lot of people in a queue waiting for your turn. The usual waiting time during the peak time can be in between from 1 hour to 90 minutes. That’s why they close the ticket counter to avoid the heavy crowd waiting in the queue.
- The ticket would cost around 200 Rupees per head for the adults.
- For the children, it would be around 100 bucks per head.
Instructions to be Followed
- Do not forget to carry your woolen clothes.
- During the peak season like Long Weekend Holidays, Waiting time will be 60-90 mins to board a Cable Car.
- The cable car passes through Valley of Tea Gardens, Houses.
So, these were some of the things that you must know before you opt for Cable car in Darjeeling. If you ever visit here and try out the Darjeeling ropeway then you must share your experience with us in the comments down below!
Most Popular Darjeeling Holiday Packages
- 3 Nights 4 Days Darjeeling Tour Package
- 3 Nights 4 Days Gangtok Tour Package
- 4 Nights 5 Days Gangtok & Darjeeling Tour
- 5 Nights 6 Days Fascinating North East Tour
- 5 Nights 6 Days Himalayan Golden Triangle Tour
- 7 Night/8 Days Sikkim Darjeeling Gangtok Tour
Darjeeling Tour Packages from Indian Cities
Frequently Asked Questions About Darjeeling
How much time does the Darjeeling ropeway takes to travel from one end to another?
The whole process of travelling from one end to another takes about 15 minutes. You must try this if you go to Darjeeling anytime soon.
What is the open timing of Cable car in Darjeeling?
During the peak time, the open timings of the Cable car Darjeeling is from 10 am to 2 pm and in the off season it is from 10 am to 4 pm.
What all we can do if we opt for the Cable car Darjeeling?
You can explore tea estates and can also visit the tea factory where you can get knowledge of how the tea is actually processed.
Other Darjeeling Related Articles
- Best Time to Visit Darjeeling
- Top Festivals in Darjeeling
- Top 10 Tea Estate Resorts in Darjeeling
- Best Places to Visit in Darjeeling in December
- Top 10 Luxurious Resorts in Darjeeling
- 5 Best Treks in Darjeeling
- Darjeeling Toy Train
- Know About Paragliding in Darjeeling
- 10 Best Places to visit in Darjeeling
- 9 Best Must-Visit Restaurants in Darjeeling
- 10 Best Things to do in Darjeeling
- 5 Star Hotels in Darjeeling
- 10 Best Homestay in Darjeeling