Monsoon is hitting the country and who doesn’t plan a vacation during this season. If you are also someone who is planning a trip with your friends or loved ones then there are a lot of Monsoon destinations in India. The country turns into a magical place when the earth gets drenched with water and there is all happiness everywhere.
For couples in India, the monsoon season is full of romance and to keep up the spark in your relationship you must visit to these Places to visit in rainy season in India. These below mentioned destinations are also an ideal for the families.
10 Best Places to Visit in India During Monsoon
Apart from boasting the perfect awe-inspiring views, India also provides you with some of the exotic places that you can visit during monsoon to make the most of the season.
Munnar is an ultimate destination that you should visit during the rainy season in India. You could see everything here starting from the green meadows to the wildlife. It is one of the places where a lot of visitors love flocking.
- Ideal for: Nature lovers, honeymooners
- Things to do: Trekking, plantation tours, sightseeing, birdwatching
- How to reach: 3 hours 40 minutes (130.1 km) via road from Cochin if you take the NH49. The nearest railway station is Aluva and Ernakulam which are the major cities in Kerala. The nearest airport is Cochin at 110 km and Madurai international airport which is 140 km away.
- Tourist spots: Spot some exquisite wildlife at Anamudi which is also the highest peak in the Western Ghats, enjoy some nature walk at beautiful lakes in Devikulam and visit the Attukal waterfalls.
- Resorts: The Panoramic Getaway, Fragrant Nature Munnar.
Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu
Known as the ‘Exotic Hill Station’ of Tamil Nadu, Kodaikanal is also considered as one of the Best Places to visit in Monsoon in India. Nestled in the Palani Hills of Western Ghats, the destination provides amazing breath-taking views.
- Ideal For: Nature fanatics.
- Things to do: Trekking, Boating and local sightseeing.
- How to reach: Madurai Airport is the nearest airport and Palani Railway Station is the closest with a distance of around 65 Kms.
- Tourist spots: Berijam Lake, Kodai Lake.
- Resorts: The Carlton Kodaikanal, and The Tamara Kodai.
Depicting its glorious past, Udaipur is also a beautiful place where you can hit in monsoon with your loved. Also known as the ‘City of Lakes’, Udaipur seems too charming during this time as it is flanked with greenery around the pristine lakes.
- Ideal for: Palaces, Forts and for the information of ancient past.
- Things to do: Boating and exploring the destination.
- How to reach: If you are via train then Udaipur has its own railway station. The nearest airport is Maharana Pratap airport in Dabok.
- Tourist spots: City Palace, Monsoon Palace, Lake Palace, and enjoy the alluring beauty of the Fateh Sagar Lake.
- Resorts: Hotel Lakend, Trident.
Ladakh festival takes place from 17th to 27th September. If you really want to enjoy here then plan your vacation during this time as you get to witness the true colors of cultures of the region. The sparkling lakes with crystal clear water surrounded by snow-covered mighty mountains, this destination is truly a paradise.
- Ideal for: Cultural vibes and for the mesmerizing views.
- Things to do: Sightseeing, bike rides, monastery visit, wildlife viewing.
- How to reach: It will take around 12 hours if you get there by road. The nearest railway station is Jammu Tawi.
- Tourist spots: Pongong Lake, Changla Pass, Thiksey Monastery.
- Resorts: The Grand Dragon Ladakh, Chamba Camp.
Living in Mumbai and thinking what would be the best place to visit during monsoon? Well, Lonavala is also one of the best choices for you guys! The Sahyadri mountain ranges and the Ghats revive with amazing green meadows, pristine waterfalls and lovely climate.
- Ideal for: Nature enthusiasts.
- Things to do: Trekking, camping, exploring the destination and local sightseeing.
- How to reach: It takes around 1 hour and 45 minutes from Mumbai and if you are going from Pune then it takes around 1 hour 26 minutes to reach at the destination. If you are coming from far then Mumbai airport is the nearest.
- Tourist spots: The Tiger point, Karla caves, Bushi dam.
- Resorts: Hilton Shillim Estate Retreat and Spa, Treebo Trend Indralok Inn Lonavala.
When someone visits Kerala, Alleppey is one of the top-most names that people take when they want to explore here. This destination is the Best place to visit in rainy season in India and also known for boasting mesmerizing views for the tourists’.
- Ideal for: Backwaters, houseboats, green meadows.
- Things to do: Pookode Lake, backwaters, Shikara ride, fishing, ancient traditions of Ayurveda
- How to reach: Alleppey is well-connected. The city has its own railway station. Cochin is the closest airport to Alleppey, 75km away.
- Tourist spots: Marari Beach, Sree Krishna Swamy Temple, Krishnapuram Palace.
- Resorts: Lake Canopy, Lake Palace Resort, Baywatch Beach Resort.
Darjeeling, West Bengal
The perfect gateway of India, Darjeeling also falls in this category which is known for its tea industry. Also known as the ‘Queen of Hills’ of West Bengal, Darjeeling is such a place that welcomes a lot of tourists across the globe to witness its serenity and charming views.
- Ideal for: Nature lovers, honeymooners and family vacationers.
- Things to do: Tea plantation visit, monastery visit, toy train ride, shopping.
- How to reach: The nearest railway station in Darjeeling is at New Jalpaiguri (62 kilometers from the main town) which connects major Indian cities like Kolkata, Delhi, Guwahati, Chennai, Mumbai, Bangalore, Bhubaneshwar, and Cochin. Or take a flight to Kolkata.
- Tourist’s spots: Rangeet valley passenger cable car, Darjeeling monastery.
- Resorts: Mayfair, Chamong Chiabari.
Receives a heavy rainfall at the time of monsoon, Shillong in Meghalaya is one of the must-visit places in India in monsoon. Flanked by the awe-inspiring views of Khasi, Shillong offers the lush green atmosphere if you come here during monsoon season.
- Ideal for: Honeymooners, nature fanatics, wildlife lovers.
- Things to do: Trekking, boating, and witnessing local sightseeing.
- How to reach: By train- The closest railway station from Shillong is in Guwahati. It’s about 100 kilometers away and you can easily take a taxi from there. The Guwahati railway station is connected to New Delhi and other major cities across the country.
- Tourists’ spot: David Scott trail is one of the most famous trek routes.
- Resorts: Ri Kynjai Serenity by The Lake, The Heritage Club.
Goa will be one of the best places amongst all if you want to explore place during monsoon season. The worthy destination comprises of plethora of beaches that will give you an enough time to enjoy the monsoon with your loved ones.
- Ideal for: Wildlife lovers, nature enthusiasts.
- Things to do: Jet skiing, scuba, trekking, heritage tour, shopping, birdwatching.
- How to reach: Goa is well connected by roads and a Mumbai to Goa road trip is worth everything in monsoons. Goa is well connected to other cities with Madgaon & Vasco-Da-Gama stations and Goa international airport in Dabolim.
- Tourists’ spot: Dudhsagar waterfalls, Aguada fort among others.
- Resorts: Patnem Garden Cottages, Vivanta Goa, Treebo Trip Linda.
Said to be one of the Best places to visit in monsoon in India, Chikmagalur offers amazing atmosphere at this time. Located at the Mullayanagiri peak in the Western Ghats, the destination is a home to the vast tropical rainforest. You will not see much of a crowd here as this place is still an offbeat and unexplored by many globetrotters.
- Ideal for: Honeymooners, nature lovers, family vacationers.
- Things to do: Sightseeing, trekking, camping, and nature walks.
- How to reach: The place is well-connected through road from Bangalore, and Mangalore.
- Tourists’ spot: Natural beauty, geographical significance.
- Resorts: Chikmagalur Homestay, The Vintage Chikmagalur.
Every place mentioned above has its own uniqueness and defines Indian culture. So, what are you waiting for? Make sure that you visit these Monsoon destinations in India and enjoy the season of love and happiness with closed ones.
FAQs About Best Places to Visit in Rainy Season in India
What are the best places to visit in monsoon in India?
There are several places in India where you can head during rainy season like Shillong, Udaipur, Goa, and Darjeeling among others.
Why these places are considered the best place to visit in rainy season in India?
The places that we have mentioned above are special during monsoon as you will see lush greenery and a lot of mesmerizing views at this time. The temperature at this time is also pleasant to explore.
What are the tips while travelling to these places in monsoon?
The monsoon season might be amazing but you have to keep some points in mind like packing dry items and zip locks to waterproof your belongings.
Must Read Related Articles
- 15 Best Places to Visit in North East India
- 10 Best Camping Sites in India
- 14 Best Places to Visit in India with Friends in Low Budget
- Best Places to Visit for Senior Citizens in India
- 10 Best Snowfall Places in India
- 15 Best Places to Visit in February in India
- 14 Best Places to Visit in winter in South India
- 14 Best Honeymoon Places in India in December
- 10 Honeymoon Places in India in September
- 17 Best Honeymoon Places in India in August
- Best Honeymoon Places in November in India