Amongst all types of Adventure Tourism, Paragliding holds a lot of importance in the lives of adventure seekers. Apart from the adventure enthusiasts, this activity becoming the favourite for other tourists also. Fly like a free bird high up in the sky is what you will experience when you try out this amazing activity. With numerous places on the globe today, you can try out this activity anywhere around the world.
The best thing is you can get your hands on Paragliding in Sikkim as well which is situated in North East India. If you are planning to head to Sikkim then you should try this out for sure. You would not only feel like a free bird but also witness the surreal views.
Reasons to go Paragliding in Sikkim
There are not single reasons that will let you down when you are Sikkim. Sikkim will add one more reason as to why you should visit there. In Sikkim, you can witness the beautiful views and surreal views from above if you try out paragliding here. Soaring high above the gorgeous valleys and would also catch the bird’s eye view from above.
Best Time to Visit for Paragliding in Sikkim
It is best to do paragliding only when the sky is clear and the weather is good so that you can enjoy an unobstructed view of the natural beauty that this city flaunts. The ideal time for paragliding is between the months of March to June and September to November. During these months, the weather is quiet pleasant.
6 Amazing Places to Try Paragliding in Sikkim
Nestled nearby the state capital city of Gangtok, Resithang Village in Sikkim remains a take-off point for a Medium Fly Flight. Situated at an altitude of 1,400m, paragliding here means you can enjoy the full top views and witness everything from the top. The landing point for the same is at the Resithang Sports Village’s Stadium.
- Price – 1,000-2500 per head.
- Location – Lower Sichey, Near Jhanjhari Waterfalls, Ranka Road, Gangtok.
- Weather – 11 to 20 degree Celsius.
- How to reach – If you are travelling via flight, you can take the flight till Bagdogra Airport which is around 128 km away from Gangtok. Via train, you can get down at New Jalpaiguri Station of Siliguri Station.
Must Read – Best Tourist Places in Sikkim
If you are a true adventure and love doing paragliding then you cannot miss the fun at Bulbuley Dara. The take-off point is quiet high as it is nestled at a height of about 2,200 m with surreal views.
- Price – Rs 1,200 to Rs.5, 000 per person.
- Location – You will witness thebeautiful views from top and you will also see Kanchenjunga on the right side.
- Weather – Temperature usually ranges from 15 to 20 degrees Celsius.
- How to Reach: From either Bagdogra Airport or the New Jalpaiguri Station in Siliguri in the neighbouring West Bengal state, you can easily drive towards the Gangtok city.
Chakung Durpin Dara
The third place where you can make the most of it is Chakung Durpin Dara and you can witness some amazing views to the core. The place is located about 1,700 m above the sea level and the landing zone for this spot is the Jorethang River Beach. The paragliding here covers approximately 1,400m in the duration of 15-20 minutes.
- Price – Rs. 5,200 per person.
- Location – Situated in the West of Sikkim at a location of 82km from the Capital Gangtok city.
- Weather – The temperature varies between 21 to 29 degree Celsius.
- How to reach – Reach Gangtok either through Bagdogra Airport or from the New Jalpaiguri Railway Station of Siliguri in the neighbouring West Bengal state. Then a drive from either will take you to this destination. You can also opt to take a road route from Siliguri but it’s not in the best of the conditions. So, reaching Gangtok and then hitting the road should be a convenient option.
St. Pauls –Lebong Route in the nearby Darjeeling hills in West Bengal state offers you a wide range of space for paragliding in Sikkim surroundings. One can reach at the point through the operators and the total time of the uphill walk of approximately 30 minutes. You will witness mesmerizing views from the top and enjoy the bird like freedom.
- Price – Rs. 3000 per head.
- Location – The place is nestled around 9-10 km away from Sikkim.
- Weather – The temperature lies in between 12 degrees Celsius to 22 degrees Celsius.
- How to Reach: It is located just on the outskirts of Darjeeling hills. One can reach to Darjeeling after a 3-hour drive from either New Jalpaiguri Junction Railway Station or from Bagdogra Airport which is the nearest airport.
Must Read – Top 5 Famous Festival of Sikkim
Tukvar Tea Gardens
Situated at the north from Darjeeling, this location is a 30-minute drive from the main city. The take off destination starts from Tukvar Tea Garden and lands at Jamuney Garden. The entire time of the activity is around 15 to 30 minutes depending upon the weather conditions. Most of the paragliding is done here only.
- Price – Rs. 3000 per person.
- Location – 9km towards the North of the Darjeeling city.
- Weather – The temperature lies in between 16 to 24 degree Celsius.
- How to reach – One of the exceedingly beautiful places around Darjeeling which attract loads of tourists is a simply one small taxi ride away from the Darjeeling city.
The last but not the least, very well-known, Kalimpong is also one of the sought-after destinations when it comes to try out activities like paragliding. It seeks attention of the tourist with the scenic beauty of the northeastern tea gardens until the Darjeeling hills which cannot be overlooked.
- Price – Starts at Rs.3, 699 per person.
- Location – Located 50 km to the North-East of the Darjeeling City.
- Weather – Having a pleasant weather throughout the year, the temperature stays in the bracket of 13 to 28 degree Celsius.
- How to Reach – You can experience the beauty of the mountains around during a 2-hour journey either by your own car or a hired taxi.
Must Read – 13 Best Honeymoon Destinations in Sikkim
So, these were some of the places that you must try out Paragliding in Sikkim and you if you are planning to visit here then you must give it a shot!