India is one of the best tourist destinations in the world, and it gets even more, better in the winter season. Read this whole article to discover the 10 best places to visit in December in India this 2021 winter.
Do you know why travellers are crazy about visiting India? It’s because locals and international tourists want to coincide with the range of unique experiences India has to offer. Yes, India is an all year-round destination to explore. There’s something you would be different in India, no matter what season you choose to visit. In summers, India has a long stretch of beaches that gets dotted with tourists like you and me.
Fret not if you haven’t been to India yet because December is the best time to explore India’s vast geography, history, vibrant culture, turquoise beaches, romantic attractions that get covered with the snow. In short, winters is the best time to visit India to bask in its snow-blanketed beauty.
December is the time to go to India because it’s when India enjoys its best snowfall to the max and welcomes tourists across the world to take a deep dive into its winter sports activities. Also, you will find accommodation in the month of December that overlooks the snow-covered peaks and emerald greenery.
If you are ready to travel with the freedom to discover and the confidence to explore the best Indian destinations to go in December, here’s a complete list of the places you should go in December in India.
Top 10 Best Places to Visit in December in India in 2021 Winter
DAYS REQUIRED – 4 to 5 are enough.
Winter exploration in India in search of curvy roads, heavy snowfall, tall deodar trees, and gigantic ice-capped Himalayan Mountains couldn’t be completed without the sheer name of Manali. It is where you should go in December if you are looking for the best hill station in India for winter’s expedition. Manali is a charming hilly town situated in the Himachal Pradesh and is nested in the Kullu Valley. For adventure-loving tourists, Manali is a beacon of adrenaline-pumping adventures like rock climbing, paragliding, ice skating, and trekking.
MANALI IS A MESMERIZING BECAUSE –
- You will get to see the massive snow sprinkled along the streets of Manali in December month.
- Adventure sports like snowboarding, ice skating, motorbiking across Rohtang Pass entice tourists.
- Enjoy a camping experience amidst the lush greenery and wake up with the views of the gigantic Himalayan views.
- Devote yourself in the prayer-answering – Hadimba Devi Temple to make your honeymoon prayers answered.
- Bathe in the sulphuric hot water springs of Vashisht Temple and eliminate the life-taking diseases.
PRICE – Starts @ INR 4,999 per person
BEST HOTELS – Snow Valley Resort, Sun Park Resort.
HOW TO REACH – Fly to Bhuntar airport which is approximately 50 km from Manali. One can hire a private cab to reach Bhuntar from Manali.
2. Auli, Uttarakhand
DAYS REQUIRED –3 to 4 days are best.
Do you want to plan your winter vacations in India to a destination that gets blanketed with snow? Certainly, many people would say yes, especially honeymooners. If you are someone who wants to feel Switzerland in a mini-budget, Auli in Uttarakhand is the place for you to go for an adventure-packed weekend holiday. Auli is often compared to Gulmarg because it boasts a very similar kind of flawless facilities like ski resorts, and enthralling winter sports like skiing. You can explore Auli and add snowball fights while enjoying the scenic views of the Himalayas from your accommodation spot.
AULI IS AH-MAZING BECAUSE –
- Learn skiing from the freelance instructors and test your adrenaline nerves.
- Watch Auli roads covered with snow while riding the Aerial Tramway.
- Marvel the glorious Himalayan peaks like Nanda Devi, Mana Parvat, Trishul, and more.
- Enjoy beautiful views of Auli with seeking blessings at the temple where Lord Hanuman rested.
- Romance amidst the charming Artificial Lake, which is Instagram famous.
PRICE – Starts @ INR 4,500* onwards.
BEST HOTELS – The Apple Warm Stay, The Himalayan Abode
HOW TO REACH – First, reach Rishikesh via bus from NCR. Later, hire a cab or travel via state bus to Joshimath. Next, pick the road journey or via cable car to reach Auli. However, Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun is the nearest airport to reach Auli.
DAYS REQUIRED – to fully enjoy, minimum 6 to 7 days.
Ladakh itself is the only reason why many tourists visit India in winter. Such is the beauty of Ladakh that you fill find that words like marvellous, spectacular are not enough to explain the charm that Ladakh holds. Ladakh is going to an adventure destination in India for trekking, spirituality, and hoards of adventure enthusiasts freaks. Ladakh boasts various flora and fauna species like Tibetan antelope, Tibetan wild ass. In winters from December to January, the Ladakh gets blanketed with snow. Love mountain biking? Rohtang Pass would. Surprise you, if it remains open.
LADAKH IS BEAUTIFUL BECAUSE –
- You can tour the scenic monasteries that offer spiritual lessons and offer amazing architecture at Hemis Monastery, Thiksey Monastery, Likir Monastery.
- Challenge your wild ass and enjoy the thrill of mountain biking at the Khardung La Pass via Leh towards Hemis.
- Pitch your camp on the banks of turquoise blue Pangong Tso Lake and marvel at the stargazing under the balmy skies.
- Spoon up the local Ladakhi food like Thukpka, Khambir, Mokthuk.
- Meet the most hospitable and friendly locals in India and enjoy the celebrity like treatment in their homestays.
- Walk down the narrow passes of the snow leopard trek, Chadar Trek, Lamayuru to Alchi trek.
PRICE – Starts @ INR 14,000* onwards.
BEST HOTELS – Hotel Omasila, The Grand Dragon Ladakh.
HOW TO REACH – The safest and the fastest way to arrive Ladakh is via a flight to Kushok Bakula Airport in Leh. While the thrill-seekers ride their bikes to Leh-Ladakh from NCR via Srinagar or Manali route.
4. Sonmarg, Jammu & Kashmir
DAYS REQUIRED – 4 to 5 days are sufficient.
Imagine romancing in a town where flower-laden fields get covered in snow, and in the morning, you and your sweetheart can enjoy the beautiful glacier and shimmering lake views. Would you be able to digest this feeling on your India tour? If yes, then fly to Sonmarg because it’s one of the best places to visit in December in India.
The summary would give you the answer to why Kashmir is heaven on earth. The place holds a rustic honeymooner charm, and that’s why its famous with the name of ‘Meadow of Gold’ amongst the tourists. From pristine lakes to jaw-dropping trekking trails, this place calls honeymooners for winter romance.
SONMARG IS SIZZLING BECAUSE –
- Enjoy ponies and Sleigh Rides at the Thajiwas Glacier.
- Relish trekking fun at Gangabal Lake.
- High on adrenaline? Try white rafting from Baltal and end Shutkari Bridge.
PRICE – Starts @ INR 13,500* onwards.
BEST HOTELS – Tranquil Retreat, Ahsan Mount Resort, Mountain View
HOW TO REACH – Arrive at Srinagar airport and then hire a private taxi to cover approx 80 km distance to reach Sonmarg.
DAYS REQUIRED – 2 to 3 days are adequate.
Located in the heart of every calm and pleasant, loving destination lover, Dalhousie is a charming snow town in Himachal Pradesh, which gets blanketed with snow, and you can spot the white snow sprinkled on the deodar forests. Dalhousie is a gorgeous place to go in December in India if you soaking the chilly breeze with breathtaking views of the snow-covered mountains is your idea of winter romance in India. Also, it’s one of the best trekking places, and you could attend the National Himalayan Winter Trekking expedition during the winters.
DALHOUSIE IS DAZZLING BECAUSE –
- You will get mesmerized by the cascading sounds of the Panch Pulla Waterfalls.
- Sit, camp, or ride a boat in the sparkling Chamera Lake to engulf yourself in the scenic natural beauty all around you.
- Enjoy zorbing, trekking, and other entertainment options in Khajjiar – the replica of Switzerland in India.
- Embark hiking toward the Kalatop Wildlife Sanctuary and pass through the wild trees, flora, fauna, grasslands to gaze at the snow-capped mountain views.
- Shop till you drop at the Tibetan Handicrafts Market to purchase exquisite carpets, wall hangings, jewellery, bags, shawls.
PRICE – Starts @ INR 7,000* onwards.
BEST HOTELS – Hotel Mount View & Spa, Hotel Dalhousie Heights.
HOW TO REACH – The prompt airport to reach Dalhousie is Gaggal Airport, just 13 from the Dalhousie. Also, one can reach Dalhousie from the NCR via private car, bus ride.
DAYS REQUIRED – 4 to 5 days are appropriate.
Goa honeymoon and party and lively ambiance go hands in hands when someone plans their holiday package to Goa in the month of December. Goa is positioned on the western coast and is the best place to visit in December in India for those tourists who love partying on the trance music with feet dipped in the orange sands. Goa is renowned for its sun-kissed beaches and is often compared to Las Vegas because of the domination of the casinos all around Goa. From hippie culture to relaxing beach vacations, Goa calls you in December. Are you ready to go?
GOA IS GLISTENING BECAUSE –
- December is the time when the loudest EDM Party, Sunburn Music Festival, comes alive in its colours. Don’t miss to attend!
- Try adrenaline-pumping water sports at the best Goan beaches like Baga, Calangute, Candolim, Anjuna.
- Tick off-road adventure activities like Quad Biking, and normal bike riding to explore the Goan countryside.
- Perform river rafting and take over the challenge of riding the rapids of Valpoi River, Mhadei River, and the Mandovi River.
- Come face to face and meet the friendliest dolphins at Grand Island and the famous Goan beaches.
PRICE – Starts @ INR 9,999* onwards.
BEST HOTELS – Deltin Suites, Club Mahindra Varca Beach:
7. Andaman & Nicobar Islands
DAYS REQUIRED – 5 to 6 days is a liberal time to explore the Andaman Islands.
India is worth visiting in December if you want to experience the Maldivian honeymoon vibes in India’s own Maldives – Andaman & Nicobar Islands. This place is a cluster of approx 600 islands locked in the Bay of Bengal. For honeymooners, The Andaman Islands houses one of the most pristine and turquoise blue beaches in India where swimming, surfing, and scuba diving is the best thing to do with family or friends or sweetheart. December is the best time of the year to go to Andaman & Nicobar to explore the crystal blue waters, stunning coral reefs, and island-hopping tours.
ANDAMAN & NICOBAR IS AMAZING BECAUSE –
- Radhanagar Beach is the rewarded beach for its cleanliness. Watch the sunset there while sitting under the palm tree.
- Go snorkelling at Elephant Beach, Neil Island Beaches, Havelock Island Beaches.
- Watch stars blanketed under your feet at the bioluminescent beach.
- Attend the sound and light show at Cellular Jail.
- Enjoy on beaches all day if you stay on beach resorts.
PRICE – Starts @ INR 14,000* onwards.
BEST HOTELS – Blue Bird Resort, Sea Shell Havelock.
HOW TO REACH – Arrive at Port Blair Airport from the major towns of India.
DAYS REQUIRED – 6 to 7 days are ample.
The tranquil backwaters, emerald greenery, pristine beach waters, and romancing amidst the warm waters of the Arabian Sea are the few things that make Kerala the best destination in December in South India. Officially, Indians call Kerala – God’s Own Country for a reason. It has serene backwaters to ride, and you can even stay on the traditional houseboats and rejuvenate your mind, body, and soul with the authentic Ayurvedic treatments followed by the lip-smacking local cuisine meal.
KERALA IS KICKASS BECAUSE –
- Trying varied flavours of the tea could be your best memory in Kerala
- Stay in a traditional houseboat of Alleppey or Kovalam while cruising the calming backwaters.
- Watch wildlife on wheels at the Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary
- Book a treehouse stay in Wayanad and also indulge in rappelling, rock climbing, nature walks, and mountain biking
- Take a day tour to Bahubali Fame – Athirapally Waterfalls, where the famous Bahubali movie scene was shot.
- Head to Marari Beach and perform Yoga, meditation in the raw nature.
PRICE – Startas @ INR 13,500* onwards.
BEST HOTELS – Marari Beach Resort, Club Mahindra Munnar.
HOW TO REACH – Reach Trivandrum Airport or Cochin Airport from the major towns of India like Mumbai, Delhi.
9. Jaisalmer, Rajasthan
DAYS REQUIRED – 2 to 3 nights
The royal state of India, Rajasthan is more than Jaipur and Udaipur and is one of the best destinations in India to travel in December month. Wondering why? The destination ticks all the boxes of a perfect desert vacation where you can unwind from your chaotic schedule and indulge in plenty of activities like village tours, fort hopping excursions, and camping on the crimson sand dunes. If you are a thrill-seeker, you don’t miss to enjoy the camel safari ride. Jaisalmer is the unexplored winter destination you should explore if you are shutterbug, foodie. The best experience to chase in Jaisalmer is to taste the Rajasthani thali at a local dhaba.
JAISALMER IS JAW DROPPING BECAUSE –
- Stay inside the Sonar Qila and feel royalty at every inch. Also, catch a glimpse of the entire city from the fort.
- Enjoy dune bashing and quad biking revel with your gangs of the wanderer.
- Seek blessings from the Tanot Mata Temple – the temple was shown in Border movie.
- Camp under the stars at the Swiss Camps at the desert camps
- Spoon up Bhang infused biscuits and lassi at the authorized local shops outside the forts and local Jaisalmer market.
PRICE – Starts @ INR 7,999* onwards
BEST HOTELS – The Wanderlust Guest House, Hotel Garh Jaisal Haveli
HOW TO REACH – Enjoy luxury on wheels and travel to Jaisalmer via Palace on Wheel Train. The journey is more enthralling than the destination. However, reaching Jaisalmer from NCR via road is also prefered.
DAYS REQUIRED – 5 to 7 days are more than enough
The northeastern region of India often gets overlooked but should not because it has places to visit like Sikkim that is guarded by the glorious Kanchenjunga mountain. Tourists who are looking to find which hill station is best in India to tour in December should pay their attention to Sikkim. Here you can walk on the thick pine forests, touch colourful meadows, and romance amidst the snow-capped mountains. From trekking to ancient monasteries to pristine lakes, Sikkim is the rejuvenation that you should soak if you are planning to visit the best north eastern region of India.
SIKKIM IS SIZZLING BECAUSE –
- Engage in a snowball fight at the Yumthang Valley.
- Spoon up momos and mountain maggie while biking to Zero Point.
- Try to calm your wanderlust sensation by witnessing the gorgeous sunrise from Peeling overlooking the Mount Kanchenjunga Mountain.
- Find peace in Rumtek Monastery in Gangtok
- Ride a yak and immerse yourself in the calming surrounding of Tsongmo or Changu Lake.
PRICE – Starts @ INR 10,000* onwards.
BEST HOTELS – Mayfair Spa Resort & Casino, Orange Village Resort.
HOW TO REACH – You can reach Sikkim and land at Bagdogra airport, which is approximately 155 km from the mainland.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS RELATED TO THE BEST PLACES TO VISIT IN DECEMBER IN INDIA
Well, 99% chances are YES! You will spot the snow in all the hill stations listed above.
Christmas in India is widely celebrated with full enthusiasm in Goa, Kerala, and mostly in the southern regions of India.
Kerala, Jaisalmer, Sonmarg, and towns of Himachal Pradesh are must-go destinations with family.
For yoga and meditation healing, Rishikesh is the best place. For an adventure-filled India vacation package, come to Ladakh and enjoy trekking, camping. For sand dunes excursion, come to Rajasthan. The list goes on and on because adventure is everywhere in India, no matter where you visit.
Now that you have joined the adventure club holidays, you can look forward to more action-packed trips, beach holidays, island holidays, family holidays, and honeymoon holiday trips with us!
Look forward to more action-packed enthralling December honeymoon destinations in India and seize exclusive travel deals.
And it doesn’t stop here. Honeymoon Bug team of expert’s crew, both on and off the road, are as passionate about travel as you are. So, hassle-free experience on your India tour package is guaranteed. After all, we have been making a honeymoon special at a low-cost price.
Are you ready for a trip of a lifetime?
CALL HONEYMOON BUG TODAY!